Yoga and Meniere's Disease

About six years ago, I was diagnosed with something called “Meniere’s Disease”.

It all started one summer morning, I had come downstairs and sat down at the computer desk. I started to feel dizzy suddenly, and figured it was because it was late in the morning and I hadn’t eaten yet.

I went into the kitchen, grabbed a bowl of Cheerios and started eating.

A few minutes later, I was on the floor.

Drenched in sweat, my head spinning with vertigo that I can only compare to twelve shots of tequila.
I could barely move. Anytime I tried to stand up, I thought I was going to fall over. My ears were muffled, and I was home alone.

I crawled up to my room to lie down, the sweating and spinning continued. I was able to contact my mother and brother who were two and a half hours up north at the cottage. In turn, they contacted my brothers best friend who lived in town - and he showed up to take me to the hospital.

During the fifteen minute wait for my ride to arrive, I changed my shirt three times, I was so sweaty. Several times I thought I was going to throw up. Jon found me in the downstairs bathroom, a total wreck and carrie dme out to the car.

Fast forward seven hours in the hospital on I.V. and anti nauseants, anti dizziness ( if thats even a word ) drugs and a few tests later - I get sent home.

I felt about seventy percent better when I got home, and went straight to bed. However the next morning I awake to the exact same symptoms. Two weeks went by and I could barely get out of bed. My family had to bring me food, I missed several Yoga Teacher Training classes, and just making it into a shower ( where I sat in the tub to wash myself ) was a huge feat.

A visit with my family doctor followed, some blood tests, a sinus and ear X-ray, and I was told I had Menieres Disease, go Google it.

For months this was difficult to adjust to. One huge issue I was having, was that my ears had not stopped ringing since my “attack” and I couldn’t sleep at night. Anytime there was silence all I heard was loud, high pitched ringing. I still do. It never stops. It likely won’t. I have adapted though - I sleep with a fan on at night, and for times I’m away from home I downloaded a Relax App for free on my phone with a variety of relaxing sounds I can play in the background, to drown out the ringing, and give my brain something else to focus on.

I do have some hearing loss as a result of this.

There are therapeutic treatments, that may or may not works to alleviate the symptoms, but there is no cure. There is no warning, there is no real known cause - it just hits you.

I am grateful that I can still work, that I can still function, for the most part, normally. Many people cannot.

So this brings me to my Yoga practice. How am I going to be able to do these postures, when my balance is so negatively affected? When an attack could come on at any time? My vestibular/inner ears so wonky.

I took a break for a bit. I had to adapt to my new weirdo body, to functioning, to focusing on eating as healthy as possible ( I was and still am vegan ) adding supplements and extra green goodness and lots of water.

When I stepped back on the mat, I had anxiety. I remember doing yoga on the back deck and folding myself into Childs Pose and just wanting to scream or cry, or both!

Trying to meditate was impossible in silence. Impossible.

I pushed my way through, and I do every time I go to class, every time I step on the mat. I breathe, I focus, I listen to my body, I pay close attention, and maybe I am a few seconds behind the rest in a fast moving flow class - but I get there, and I don’t fall over, and I am stronger at the end. I am grateful.

I am convinced that sticking to it, and moving at my own pace, has helped me greatly. My headaches are reduced, my anxiety significantly lower and I like to think I am reprogramming my brain a little bit, and my balance is better because of it.

I still have bad days, but they are lesser. Stress was a big factor, and after making a job change, and meeting my soul mate - let me tell you what a huge difference.

This is your life, don’t settle. Its never too late to change, to try, to start. One step at a time, one day at a time, one breath at a time.

It can be done.

whitmermaidfountain.jpg


For more information on Menieres Disease please feel free to click the below links:

https://vestibular.org/menieres-disease?gclid=Cj0KEQjw0fOoBRDn88Pol8bqhN0BEiQARGVJKjHLvs7w8QlMZFE6bJqHFHgS15n-5VWgmVxmwHRTEwwaAgHa8P8HAQ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons on Rejection

5 Yogi's To Follow on Instagram